Tuesday 16 October 2012

Surrealism Sketches

To gather a final idea for my surrealism brief I have designed 4 different concepts that have been drawn from my research and understanding of surrealism. Surrealism is a very broad subject to work with since there really isn't any clear definition about it and the main aspects of surrealism I enjoy is the vast emptiness or the lack of sense. Here are my designs:

Concept 1: The Painting's Thoughts


During my research of surrealism I noticed quite a few paintings/pictures had more than one perspective inside of them and I wanted to play around with the idea of portals to a new perspective. The picture isn't exactly a portal to a new perspective but the viewer's perspective. This has been done many times before, however I mixed it up slightly by changing the time of day inside each instance of perspective.



Concept 2: Occupied Space


One view I have on surrealism is that a surrealistic scene can contain normal objects in a strange position. In this concept I decided to depict the idea of a house in a vast open space. There isn't any walls, just all the household appliances and objects scattered around. I liked this idea a lot since the initial space looks abandoned but the footsteps leading to and from the mailbox shows indication of life.



Concept 3: The Passing Moment


For this design I wanted to have something interesting to look at. In the research on surrealism I conducted I noticed a lot of depictions of houses or towns are built or placed in impossible positions, such as hands or monsters or human heads. I decided to try something similar and place a town on a draining hourglass. I also put some town ruins in the bottom of the hour glass, perhaps representing the past and future.



Concept 4: A Lost System


I came up with this concept since I liked the idea of changing the sun, something we all know too well and would find it a little strange to see it changed or replaced. So I decided the sun should change into a desk lamp. I then thought it would be interesting to have the individual planets buried in order next to the light to depict the solar system. Of course the planets in the sketch aren't scientifically accurate, they don't really have to be, but I would still like to include the full solar system if I expand on this.

1 comment: